These are tough times for many: falling wages and rising bills are hitting our standard of living today and the most vulnerable are hit the hardest.
We do not believe in blaming those on benefits, or in blaming migrants for our problems. Human rights are not a barrier to progress. Circumstances mean that some of us need more help than others and that help should be available to everyone who needs it.
We will end the race to the bottom on welfare: we will not kick people when they are down.
Building a fairer society
The Green Party would:
- Oppose austerity. There is an alternative – investment in a low carbon economy, creating real jobs of the future.
- Turn the national minimum wage into a genuine living wage so that everyone can put food on the table and pay the bills.
- Build truly affordable housing, and stop demolishing existing homes.
- Scrap the welfare cap to ensure that we can truly help the poorest and most vulnerable in our society.
- Enforce a cap on bankers’ bonuses and reduce the pay gap between those at the top and those at the bottom.
Have a look at our mini-manifesto here.